Monday, May 11, 2009

The Road to Here


So, a little about myself. I have a BA in literature and writing that led me into 18 years of doing things like: writing copy and directing photo shoots for a mail-order catalog; editing, publishing and writing for a monthly arts and culture paper; designing and programming websites; then, very incongruently, providing clerical support and doing billing for a home health agency.

Somewhere in there I began to notice my food. I noticed that what I ate affected the way I felt and looked. I noticed how so many modern diseases were connected with poor diet. I also noticed that there were bigger issues with food than what to have for dinner. Thanks to several people who happened to be right where I needed them with a timely bit of advice or information, my interest in food and health was nurtured, and I ended up here at Bastyr University, getting my Masters degree in nutrition.

In case you haven’t heard of it, Bastyr is a university of health sciences that offers a “multidisciplinary curriculum in science-based natural medicine.” The university trains naturopathic physicians, and also has programs in nutrition, exercise science, acupuncture and Oriental medicine.

Bastyr has a fantastic nutrition program with faculty who are very dedicated to training their students in “whole foods-based” nutrition, while still giving them the down-and-dirty biochemistry of nutrition and preparing them for work in acute clinical settings. Bastyr also has a dietetic internship with a focus on… you guessed it, natural medicine!

I was very fortunate to have been selected for the 2009-10 internship at Bastyr, and now here I am, between my Masters degree and my RD license, just itching to get started.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carol,

    My name is Jenna. I'm so relieved that I found your blog! I currently am in the process of applying for dietetic internships and I was wondering if I could email you some questions?

    My first choice is Bastyr, so when I found that you, yourself is at Bastyr, experiencing their intership, I thought, "Oh my gosh, perfect!" You have a great blog and I enjoyed reading all your posts so far!

    Thanks and I hope you are enjoying the intership! Best of luck!
    Jenna

    fu.jenna@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete